Covid crisis “out of control”, says expert as president Jair Bolsonaro continues to resist lockdown
Brazil’s coronavirus catastrophe has deepened further after more than 4,000 daily deaths were reported for the first time since the outbreak began in February last year.
At least 4,195 people were reported to have lost their lives on Tuesday, taking Brazil’s total death toll - the world’s second highest after the US - to nearly 337,000.
Brazil also reported 86,979 new infections. Experts fear a record 100,000 Brazilians could lose their lives this month alone if nothing is done.
“It’s a nuclear reactor that has set off a chain reaction and is out of control. It’s a biological Fukushima,” said Miguel Nicolelis, a Brazilian doctor and professor at Duke University in the US, who is closely tracking the virus.
Despite the growing crisis, Brazil’s far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, continues to resist the idea of a lockdown and downplay the pandemic.
“There will be no nationwide lockdown,” the president told reporters on Wednesday during a visit to the southern state of Santa Catarina - a bastion of Bolsonaro support. “Our army will not go out on to the streets to keep people in their homes. Freedom is priceless,” added the former army captain who continues to tour the country and mingle with crowds despite the risks to public health.
Brazil, which has 212 million citizens compared with the US’s 328 million, is expected to overtake the US weekly average for daily deaths in the coming days. …
kaldurcalm reblogged this from merelygifted
radioblueheart reblogged this from merelygifted
radioblueheart liked this
merelygifted posted this